The cattle farm at Hosur was established in the year 1824 as Army Remount Depot, by British for rearing and breeding Horses. This farm was handed over to the Agricultural Department of Govt. of Madras on 1st September 1924 as a Cattle Breeding Station.
The Farm was subsequently taken over by the Madras Civil Veterinary Department on 1st April 1938 with the object to maintaining the purity of the Indian Milk Breeds of Cattle and to conduct basic research on animal breeding and the Farm was redesigned as Livestock research station.
The farm was renamed as District Livestock farm subsequent to the reorganization of Livestock Research station on 1st January 1970. During recent years, the cattle farm is being moved to Namakkal in a very slow phase and soon the land may fall in the hands of Real Estate brokers! as already the most expensive trees like Sandal wood and Silver oak are being looted in day light.
Photo Image of Cattle Farm. Photographed by Mr Sivaraman of JPSR Enterprises during the year 2000
Read more at https://hosur.hosuronline.com/cattle.html